Wednesday, March 5, 2014

5 Reasons Why Street Art Beats Gallery Art in Barcelona

Have you ever looked at a painting in a museum or gallery and thought, ¨Yeah, it´s good. But it would be so much better if …¨

ME TOO!!!

As hard as it is to believe, such ¨constructive criticism¨ rarely falls on appreciative ears, which is one of the reasons I find hunting for street art so much more fun than gallery going.

There are loads of others reasons, but here are my top five in favor of street art in Barcelona.

1.  
On the street I decide what is good, bad and ¨to be improved.¨

2. 
On the street if the urge to tweak an artwork strikes, I can act on it without fear of setting off an alarm or dodging security guards. Street artists may not welcome improvements, but there is nothing they can do to stop them. The end result is collaborative pieces with multiple authors and evolving messages.

3. 
Whether I like it or not, hunting for street art is work. It gets me out, about and in the sun. 
  
4. 
The street is democratic. Anything goes, from social commentary and realism to pop art and collage. There is a world of variety waiting to be discovered.

5. 
Last but not least, hunting for street art is truly free. Since the art isn´t portable, I don´t have to worry about someone plying me with free wine to loosen my purse strings. (At the end of the night it´s always so embarrassing when they discover that said purse is empty. I just bring it along to avoid looking like a freeloader).

These are just 5 reasons to hunt for street art. As I said, there are so many more. So next time you are looking for something to do in Barcelona that´s both fun and affordable, take to the streets. 

They do talk to those who listen.







No comments:

Post a Comment